Cottonwood is a city in Verde Valley in north central Arizona. It is said to be located in “the heart” of Arizona and is getting more and more popular over time.
Cottonwood, AZ began forming in the early 1900s but didn’t become incorporated until 1960. Over the last few decades, Cottonwood has doubled in population due to the addition of a modern waste water treatment plant and collection system. In 2011, there was a population of approximately 11,000 people living in Cottonwood.
It is also becoming more popular as it plays a major role in the Verde Valley Wine Trail. Wine enthusiasts visit Cottonwood to enjoy the custom drinks found there.
Major attractions in and around Cottonwood:
- Verde River – The Verde River is a great place to take part in a number of recreational activities, such as fishing, hiking, or boating. It is also good for observing nature.
- Historic Old Town – The Old Town consists of Main Street, which has over 60 businesses that attract citizens and visitors alike. There’s a number of antique stores, wine tasting rooms, cafes, and more. Events are also held in Old Town.
- Clemenceau Heritage Museum – With the help of volunteers from the non-profit Verde Historical Society, this museum preserves historical artifacts of Verde Valley. It has exhibits and a gift shop and holds events.
Jobs in Cottonwood
The major employers in Cottonwood are:
- City of Cottonwood – The City of Cottonwood is dedicated to providing for its citizens and visitors. There are both part-time and full-time positions available in a number of departments.
- Cottonwood/Oak Creek School District – This school district consists of three elementary schools, one middle school, one preparatory school, and one online program. Employment positions include teachers, substitutes, and working for Sodexo.
- Mingus Union High School District – Mingus Union High School is dedicated to providing a safe learning community. There are certified and classified jobs at Mingus Union, and they have different requirements. More information, current job openings, and applications can be found on the website.
- Phelps & Sons Trusses
- Verde Valley Medical Center – This medical center started in Cottonwood in 1939, but has expanded to four different locations since. There are over 800 employees at Verde Valley Medical Center, including professional and support staff.
- Wal-Mart – Wal-Mart has about 11,000 stores in 27 countries, and one of these stores is located in Cottonwood. Management and hourly positions are available at Wal-Mart stores.
- Griffith Enterprises – Griffith Enterprises is a manufacturer of mission-critical products that works in the United States and Mexico. Those interested in working for this company have to contact them via email.
- Arizona Public Service – Arizona Public Service Company has been providing the state with electricity for over 125 years. There are employment opportunities throughout the state.
The major industries in Cottonwood are:
- Professional and business services
- Leisure and hospitality
- Finance and insurance
- Educational and health services
- Trade, transportation, and utilities
- Mining and construction
Another local online resource is FlagstaffJobs; this website provides job resources and openings.